Merrion Square was originally a private square for the sole use of local residents. It was purchased by the Catholic church in 1930 with the intention of building a cathedral on the site. This never materialised and Dublin Corporation took over ownership of the park in 1974.
DCC are undertaking a broad scale renovation of Merrion Square Park. These works are being guided by the Conservation & Management Plan which was completed in 2014. Re-establishing the English Landscape parkland layout is the main focus of the renovation works. This will involve the clearing of large swathes of inappropriate and overplanted areas as well as the removal, and in some cases, the replacement of some of the park’s elements.
Georges Street, Newbridge is at the heart of the busy country town and is located midway along the Main Street running North West between it and Eyre Street. A number of years ago well know artist, Ann Meldon Hugh was commissioned to create a number of sculptures depicting the tradition of trade in the town.
The original plan was to mount this pieces on the building facades but it was later decided that they would gain more prominence if they were displayed in cases along the street. Omos liaised with the council and the artist to arrive at a solution which was both sympathetic to the works of art while meeting the practical needs of the council.
Brook Plants Projects